Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Week 6 #15 Library 2.0

I see the very training we are doing and many of the changes in our library as embracing the 2.0 philosophy. I love the fact that customers can check their accounts from home, check out ebooks and download videos and books without ever leaving the comfort of home. I only wish we could offer all our databases for remote access.

As new technologies offer new possibilities it is both a challenge and an exciting opportunity for libraries. What an age!

I found the article on Icebergs very interesting and I agree that the days of the "just in case" collection are gone. So much information is online or in online databases anyway. At my branch we've reduced the reference collection and moved it to the back of the library, leaving the "prime real estate" in the center of the building (formerly reference) for a "popular collection" which is heavily browsed. This is just one way we can be responsive.

Whether we respond with new technologies or just new ways to provide better service, it's all 2.0

No comments: